When it comes to athletics, Egyptians make us proud! This year, we have a total of 119, competitors! We have two in archery, four in athletics, four in boxing, two in canoeing, one in cycling, four in diving, one in equestrian, seven in fencing, one in gymnastics, 14 in handball, five in judo, three in modern pentathlon, two in rowing, one in sailing, 12 in shooting, seven n swimming, nine in synchronized swimming, five in table tennis, three in taekwondo, 14 in volleyball, nine in weightlifting, and ten in wrestling. And that’s not even counting the football team! Here’s a list of the people to follow to support Egypt this year in the 2016 Olympics, taking place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from 5 to 21 August 2016.
These two archers each obtained one of the three Olympic places available from the 2016 African Archery Championships in Windhoek, Namibia.
• Ahmed El-Nemr
• Reem Mansour
• Anas Beshr (track & road)
• Hamada Mohamed (track & road)
• Fatma El-Shernoubi (track & road)
• Mostafa Al-Gamel (field)
• Hassan Mahmoud (field)
While one boxer (Abdin) was the only Egyptian boxer qualifying through the 2015 World Championships, three more boxers claimed their Olympic spots at the 2016 African Qualification Tournament in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
• Mahmoud Abdelaal (Lightweight)
• Walid Selik Mohamed (Welterweight)
• Hosam Abdin (Middleweight)
• Abdelrahman Salah (Light heavyweight)
Through the 2016 African Sprint Qualifying Tournament, two Egyptians qualified for the K-1,200 m events—one in the men’s and the other in the women’s division.
• Karim Emad
• Menna Hassan
For the very first time, one woman will be competing in the women’s sprint event thanks to her remarkable ranking in the 2016 UCI Track Cycling World Championships. This is Egypt’s Olympic comeback to the sport of cycling for the first time since 2000 and to track cycling since 1924.
• Ebtissam Zayed
These four divers qualified for their spots by virtue of their top national finish from Africa at the 2015 FINA World Championships.
• Mohab El-Kordy (3 m Springboard)
• Maha Amer (3 m Springboard)
• Youssef Selim (10 m Platform)
• Maha Gouda (10 m Platform)
Egypt has entered one jumping rider into the Olympic equestrian competition by virtue of a top four finish outside the group selection in the individual FEI Olympic Rankings.
• Karim El-Zoghby
Egyptian fencers have qualified a full squad each in the men’s team foil by virtue of being the highest ranking team from Africa outside the world’s top four in the FIE Olympic Team Rankings. Mohamed Amer and Noura Mohamed claimed their spots as one of the two highest-ranked fencers from Africa outside the world’s top 14 in the FIE Adjusted Official Rankings. Nada Hafez and Ayman Fayez earned their spots by virtue of their top finish respectively at the African Zonal Qualifier in Algiers, Algeria.
• Ayman Fayez (Épée)
• Alaaeldin Abouelkassem (Foil)
• Tarek Ayad (Foil)
• Mohammed Essam (Foil)
• Alaaeldin Abouelkassem (Team foil)
• Tarek Ayad (Team foil)
• Mohammed Essam (Team foil)
• Mohamed Amer (Sabre)
• Noura Mohamed (Foil)
• Nada Hafez (Sabre)
Egypt has entered one artistic gymnast into the Olympic competition. Sherine El-Zeiny received a spare berth freed up by South Africa as one of the highest-ranked gymnasts from Africa in the women’s apparatus and all-around events, respectively, at the Olympic Test Event in Rio de Janeiro.
• Sherine El-Zeiny
Egypt men’s handball team of 14 players qualified for the Olympics group play by attaining a top finish and securing a lone outright berth at the 2016 African Championships in Cairo.
Egypt has qualified a total of five judokas this year.
• Ahmed Abelrahman (−60 kg)
• Mohamed Mohy Eldin (−73 kg)
• Mohamed Abdelaal (−81 kg)
• Ramadan Darwish (−100 kg)
• Islam El Shehaby (+100 kg)
Egyptian athletes have qualified three spots by virtue of their top finish at the African Championships.
• Amro El-Geziry
• Omar El-Geziry
• Haydy Morsy
Egypt has qualified one boat each in the men’s and women’s single sculls at the 2015 African Continental Qualification Regatta in Tunis, Tunisia.
• Abdelkhalek El-Banna
• Heba Ahmed
Egypt has qualified one sailor in the men’s Laser class through the African continental regatta.
• Ahmed Ragab
Egyptian shooters have achieved quota places by virtue of their best finishes at the 2014 and 2015 ISSF World Championships, the 2015 ISSF World Cup series, and African Championships.
• Franco Donato (Trap)
• Ahmed Kamar (Trap)
• Abdel Aziz Mehelba (Trap)
• Azmy Mehelba(Skeet)
• Ahmed Mohamed (10 m air pistol)
• Ahmed Morad (50 m rifle prone)
• Samy Abdel Razek (10 m air pistol, 50 m pistol)
• Ahmed Shaban (25 m rapid fire pistol)
• Hamada Talat(10 m air pistol, 50 m pistol, 50 m rifle 3 positions)
• Afaf El-Hodhod (10 m air pistol, 25 m pistol)
• Shimaa Hashad (10 m air pistol)
• Hadir Mekhimar (10 m air pistol)
• Ahmed Akram (400 m freestyle, 1500 m freestyle)
• Marwan El-Amrawy (10 km open water)
• Marwan El-Kamash (200 m freestyle, 400 m freestyle)
• Mohamed Hussein (200 m individual medley)
• Ali Khalafalla (50 m freestyle)
• Reem Kaseem (10 km open water)
• Farida Osman (50 m freestyle, 100 m butterfly)
Egypt has a squad of nine synchronized swimmers to compete in the women’s duet and team events, by virtue of their top national finish for Africa at the2015 FINA World Championships.
• Samia Ahmed (Duet)
• Dara Hassanien (Duet)
• Nariman Abdelhafiz (Team)
• Leila Abdelmoez (Team)
• Samia Ahmed (Team)
• Nour El-Ayoubi (Team)
• Jomana El-Maghrabi (Team)
• Dara Hassanien (Team)
• Salma Negmeldin (Team)
• Nada Saafan (Team)
• Neha Saafan (Team)
• Khalid Assar (Men’s singles)
• Omar Assar (Men’s singles)
• Nadeen El-Dawlatly (Women’s singles)
• Dina Meshref (Women’s singles)
• Yousra Abdel Razek (Women’s team)
• Nadeen El-Dawlatly (Women’s team)
• Dina Meshref (Women’s team)
Egypt entered three athletes into the taekwondo competition; Malak qualified by finishing in the top 6 WTF Olympic rankings, while Zaki and El-Sawalhy secured the remaining spots by virtue of their top two finish at the 2016 African Qualification Tournament in Agadir, Morocco.
• Ghofran Zaki (−68 kg)
• Hedaya Malak (−57 kg)
• Seham El-Sawalhy (−67 kg)
For the first time in Egypt’s history, Egypt women’s beach volleyball team qualified for the Olympics by winning the CAVB Continental Cup final in Abuja, Nigeria.
• Doaa El-Ghobashy
• Nada Meawad
Egypt’s men’s volleyball team qualified for the Olympics by attaining a top finish and securing a lone outright berth at the African Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo.
• Abd Elhalim
• Ahmed Abdelhay
• Mamdouh Abdelrehim
• Ashraf Abouelhassan
• Mohamed Thakil
• Mohamed Masoud
• Ahmed Afifi
• Hossam Abdalla
• Mohamed Badawy
• Omar Hassan
• Ahmed Elkotb
• Ahmed Abdelaal
Based on their combined team standing at the 2014 and 2015 IWF World Championships, the following weightlifters are competing.
• Ahmed Saad (−62 kg)
• Mohamed Ihab (−77 kg)
• Tarek Yehia (−85 kg)
• Ragab Abdelhay (−94 kg)
• Gaber Mohamed (−105 kg)
• Ahmed Mohamed (+105 kg)
• Esraa El-Sayed (−63 kg)
• Sara Ahmed (−69 kg)
• Shaimaa Khalaf (+75 kg)
Egypt has qualified a total of ten wrestlers, as a result of their semifinal triumphs at the 2016 African & Oceania Qualification Tournament.
• Mohamed Zaghloul (−86 kg)
• Diaaeldin Kamal (−125 kg)
• Haithem Mahmoud (−59 kg)
• Adham Ahmed Saleh (−66 kg)
• Mahmoud Fawzy (−75 kg)
• Ahmed Othman (−85 kg)
• Hamdy El-Said (−98 kg)
• Abdellatif Mohamed (−130 kg)
• Enas Mostafa (−69 kg)
• Samar Amer (−75 kg)